Friday 24 February 2012

Stuff. And lots of it.

My house isn't particularly small at 1000 sq. feet, but it a'int exactly spacious, either. It's just my husband, the furbabies and I.  I debate about whether we need to upsize, and the truth is I could live in that amount of space, if only....I had one extra room...if only I had a reasonable number of pets...if only I were a minimalist. But I'm not a minimalist. I don't have an extra room. And I definitely don't have a reasonable number of pets. (What can I say? I'm a sucker for a furry face.)

What I've got is a 1 3/4 story house with 2 bedrooms, one bathroom, one husband (I'm square like that) and a bunch of kitties. (More on that later, when ya know me, and know I'm not completely insane. For now let's just stick with "I've got less than 10 cats!") I've also got STUFF. So much stuff. And I'm actually pretty good about getting things we're not using outta the house. I usually have a ridiculously great yard sale every couple of years, and I do a drop off at the thrift store every couple of months. I used to get rid of something I didn't *really like* every time I brought home something new. Problem is, now I really like almost everything I've got. I mean, I could live without all of it, as long as I had C and the cats. But it's no secret that it's nice to be surrounded by things you find beautiful. 

Which brings me to part of the reason I'm such a maximalist. I'm the manager and buyer (to quote the great Buffy Summers "You know...buying, buyer, to buy.") at a very beautiful bookstore, which also carries imported home decor, jewelry, incense and the like. So, you get the idea. I'm exposed to all this beauty AND I GET IT WHOLESALE. What's a girl to do? And before you say "I dunno, restrain yourself?" I do! You think I don't want a hand-painted temple prayer wheel from Nepal? Well, I do, man!  But look at me, restrainin' myself. And you shoulda seen me at the trade show in Toronto last month. I almost bought myself the most beautiful, impractical dining room table you've ever seen. But I didn't! (The fact that it was $2500 wholesale had hardly anything to with it! Okay. It had everything to do with it.) 

The only things I bought were a pair of turquoise metal chairs and a lime green table to go in my Mexican-inspired backyard. Under $100! The supplier actually called me at work last week. They were about to ship the order, but had to make sure I really wanted the lime green table with the turquoise chairs, 'cause the "colours are so crazy together." Right. 'Cuz BLUE and GREEN don't go together. They're only NEXT TO EACH OTHER ON THE COLOUR WHEEL, lady! I didn't take the time to explain my personal colour theory to her, which is that ALL colours go together if they're the same intensity. Mostly because I was thinking, "Bitch, please!" Yeah, I tend to get a little worked up. Anyhoo. The turquoise chairs and matching lime green table are making their way to me as we speak. Of course, I'll have to store them in my pit-of-despair basement til the snow melts, but that's neither here nor there.









2 comments:

  1. i would to see some photos of the home and kitties!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soon, my pretty! Hopefully Sunday!

    ReplyDelete