Tuesday 28 February 2012

Countdown to Spring!

Ah, March! It's nearly upon us, and it makes me feel like we've almost made it through another winter. Almost, but not quite. Hopefully these photos from my outdoor inspiration file will help me make it through the next couple of months, when I can finally use my yard again! When we moved into our house the yard was a mess of weeds, broken concrete, shoddy stairs and a the only sturdy, well-built thing that came with the house, a swing set. I have zero use for a swing set, and I thank my lucky stars for that. (While I do love being auntie to a half a dozen lucky little buggers, kids are decidedly not my favourite home accessories.) Now that I've made you realize what a truly horrible person I am, back to my backyard!

We lived with the backyard as it was until this past spring. There was just too much to do on the interior of the house to bother with the yard. I like to think the state of my yard kept burglars at bay. "That place looks ripe for the pickin', Lou, let's break-in through the back. Oh, but look at this yard! The poor maroons must be broker'n we are." (This is how I assume burglars speak. Like low-level henchmen from 1940's film noir.) 

Anyhoo, last spring I reached my breaking point and graveled the entire backyard and ordered waaaayy too much soil for my new planters (FYI, after weeks of begging people to come by and help themselves to soil to hardly any effect, I placed a sign in the front yard that said "Free Dirt In Backyard." Gone within the day.) I planted a ton of vegetables and flowers, added some outdoor furniture and voila! A charming yard to hang out in. I think we spent a grand total of 5 hours out there all summer long, but maybe this will be our year! I did take before photos, and I haven't a clue where they are! I'll post those, plus what the yard looks like now come springtime. For now, I hope you are transported to warmer, sunshiney days with these gorgeous outdoor spaces:












No comments:

Post a Comment